The Tragedy of the Faithless and Childless

In days of yore there were two Ranes -- one of the Urok Kin and the other of the Younger Race. Bitter enemies were the two and each hated the other, though each had more in common than they knew. For both loved their Ranaa more than their own lives, but not more than their pride. Both were childless and were consumed by the fear that they could not have an heir. And, both sought my counsel in this matter and many others.

I take neither side in such affairs, only asking the Urok Kin keep to their land and the Younger Race to theirs. Ever I aided the other when one became too strong. Ever I counsel both sides to peace and negotiated a truce among them. This is the way of Continuity and this is the middle path though few understand it.

I approached the Mirror of Time and besought the answer and saw what must transpire. For neither would bear an heir except by betrayal and this I warned them straightly. There are worse things than to fade into history. The birds rise and fly and die again and no one weeps for their passing. Many have birdlings but none remember them. So it must be with many things and so might it be for you.

But each offered a protest that went something like this, "I have a bitter enemy who must be defeated. If I produce not an heir, then my enemy shall win. I need a son to fight when I can no longer draw the blade."

Neither of the Ranes would hear my counsel, and each went back to their Realms and knew not of the others torment.

Then, by some dark design whose portent I did not foresee, the Ranaa of the Urok Kin and the Rane of the Younger Race, met in peace upon a moonless night. There they coupled upon a bed of stone and there they swore to meet in peace upon a night nine months off.

Thus was the Mirror of Time proved right again. In betrayal was the Ranaa of one Realm was pregnant by the Rane of another. The Ranaa carried offspring within her and among them an heir for her Realm and an heir for her enemy's. But she resented it not and kept her word as lawfully given. Nine months later she returned to the bed of stone.

But the Rane of the Younger Race was full of torment and the deed weighed heavily on his mind. When he saw the issue of his loins and the fruit of the coupling he became murderous and struck the Ranaa dead and slew also the children.

But one survived, which I rescued and raised. Whose heir it was, I could not tell and did not care. Only I saw him to adulthood and called him the Man of Balance. A wanderer was he between two nations and never did I guide his life upon one path or another. For it was fit for him to choose, and he alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment